July 14, 2014

Review: Breakable by Tammara Webber


He was lost and alone. Then he found her. 
And the future seemed more fragile than ever. 

As a child, Landon Lucas Maxfield believed his life was perfect and looked forward to a future filled with promise — until tragedy tore his family apart and made him doubt everything he ever believed.

All he wanted was to leave the past behind. When he met Jacqueline Wallace, his desire to be everything she needed came so easy…

 As easy as it could be for a man who learned that the soul is breakable and that everything you hoped for could be ripped away in a heartbeat..

Breakable is a beautifully written book about a boy whose life comes tumbling down around him at the age of thirteen but manages to fight his way to a better life.

I had high hopes for this book before I began reading it. I read Easy last year and loved it, so I didn’t doubt the fact that I would love Breakable to pieces.

Tammara Webber is amazing with words. Every single word in the book felt like it had been through a careful selection process so that each word would fit perfectly. It didn’t feel forced or unnatural; the words flew perfectly and effortlessly across the pages, and they captivated me from the very first page.

While reading the first 150 pages of the book I wasn’t even completely sure I liked the story, but because the words were so magical and made it so effortless to keep on reading, I did continue and I was glad I did.


“I had become Harry Potter. Except I was thirteen and not magic, and my destiny, whatever it was, held no profound purpose.”

When Landon Lucas Maxfield was thirteen years old he went through a very traumatic experience and it scarred him for life.
His way of dealing with the pain (or lack of dealing with it) made him into a kid who partied a lot, hooked up with a lot of different girls, didn’t take school seriously and threw himself into fights.
On the outside he might seem like a bad guy, but while reading about past Landon and how he experienced high school it was very evident that he wasn’t a bad guy, he was just a guy in a lot of pain and he didn’t know how to deal with it.


“I dreamed about the future because that's what people persuade you to do when you're a kid, but that's the biggest lie of all--that you can plan. Reality is, you have no fucking clue what's coming and neither do they.”

My heart broke for him so many times. At times it seemed like he had just given up on himself, but in the end he managed to find his way to a better place.

Jacqueline Wallace had a lot to do with healing his broken soul.
This story was so very evidently Lucas’ story that at times it felt like Jacqueline was a minor character, whereas in Easy both Jacqueline and Lucas had felt like main characters.
So therefore I don’t have very much to say about Jacqueline in this story, because I didn’t feel like she was that important to the story. If it weren’t for the fact that I had read Easy I would say that we didn’t get to know Jacqueline well enough in Breakable.


“Watching her made my heart ache, as if that organ had become linked to her emotional state, rather than targeting its primary task—keeping me alive.”

The romance between Jacqueline and Lucas was of course sweet. Those two fit so well together and they helped each other heal. It was just beautiful.
However, I did like the romance better in Easy, because I couldn’t help but feel that Lucas was a bit of a stalker creep in Breakable who, in the end, finally got the girl he had been stalking.
… He knew her before she was even aware of him, he watched her from afar, and to me it was a bit on the creepy side. But it got better as the story developed and Lucas finally became a part of Jacqueline’s life and not just an outside watcher.

So when they did finally get together, the creep factor was gone and they were really cute together.


“Then came Jacqueline. This love. This healing. This new reality where before and after were no longer divided by a solitary rift.”

The story was divided into two point of views; one from Landon’s POV that tells the story of Landon’s high school life, and one from Lucas’ POV that tells the story we know from Easy.

I think I would have preferred that the entire book was written from Lucas’ POV and then having flashbacks to his past, because at times it became too much with the dual point of view because I felt like I was reading two different books at once.


So because I wasn’t a big fan of the dual point of view and the creep factor, the book loses a star, but overall the book was really likeable and captivating, and I would highly recommend it to lovers of Easy – just don’t expect it to be the exact same story as Easy.

Rating: 4 stars



0 comments:

Post a Comment